World

Uncertainty rises in Europe: US sends 5,000 troops to Poland

NATO Secretary General supported this decision, emphasizing that European countries need to reduce their dependence on the United States.

Uncertainty rises in Europe: US sends 5,000 troops to Poland

US President Donald Trump announced that an additional 5,000 American troops will be sent to Poland. This decision has further intensified uncertainties regarding Washington's military policy in NATO and Europe, writes Al Jazeera.

 

It is noted that Trump made this announcement on his social media page on Thursday, emphasizing that the decision is linked to his close relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki and his electoral victory.

 

"Based on my support for President-elect Karol Nawrocki and our good relations, the US will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland," wrote Donald Trump.

 

The Polish president also welcomed this decision, noting that alliances should be built on cooperation and shared security. Polish Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski stated that this decision would help maintain the current level of US troops in the country.

 

This statement came after the Pentagon announced a week earlier that the planned deployment of 4,000 American troops to Poland had been canceled. Additionally, earlier this month, Donald Trump had also stated that he would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany.

 

Trump has long criticized European NATO member states for not sufficiently increasing their defense spending. In recent weeks, his criticism has sharpened further as European countries did not support US-Israeli military actions against Iran.

 

European countries, meanwhile, face uncertainties about how to shape their defense strategies due to the shifting policies of the US. Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard described the situation as "confusing."

 

According to the Associated Press, some officials within the US defense system have also indicated that they do not understand what the new decision entails.

 

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that at the NATO foreign ministers' meeting, allies would discuss the need to increase defense spending and take on more responsibility.

 

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte supported the decision to send additional troops to Poland, emphasizing that European countries need to reduce their dependence on the US.

 

At the same time, the Pentagon has also announced a plan to reduce the number of combat brigades in Europe from four to three. It remains unclear whether the new troops said to be sent to Poland will replace the previously canceled contingent or be relocated from Germany.

custom img

24 people have died as a result of floods in Afghanistan.

Since the end of March, the heavy rainfall observed in the country has been causing floods and landslides.

custom img

Activists taking aid to Gaza accused Israeli soldiers of violence and sexual assault.

Some activists have had their ribs and arms broken, and have suffered serious injuries to their eyes and ears as a result of the use of electroshock weapons.

custom img

Russian fighter jets dangerously approached a British reconnaissance aircraft over the Black Sea.

Following the incident, the UK Foreign Office and Ministry of Defence requested an official explanation from the Russian Embassy.

custom img

The US and Israel wanted to make the former president the leader of Iran — NYT

On the first day of the war, Israel struck Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's residence in Tehran in an attempt to free him from house arrest.

custom img

Iran has announced that if the US delivers new strikes, the war will spread further.

Donald Trump had stated that if an agreement with Iran is not reached, attacks against the country could resume.

custom img

Putin's official visit to China concluded: 40 documents signed

Russian and Chinese leaders discussed "the most delicate issues" over tea.

custom img

Putin made an official visit to China.

During the visit, it is planned to sign nearly 40 documents covering cooperation in a number of areas.

custom img

"The Turks will end up in a worse situation than Iran," says Israel's Minister of Culture.

Miki Zohar also put forward an opinion suggesting that "Turkey should be treated as a hostile state."

Certificate: №1346 Issue date: 28.05.2020

Idea author: Firdavs Fridunovich Abdukhalikov

Founder: "Master Media Production and Broadcast"